Among the most noteworthy (and perhaps longest) histories of any business in our area today is that of Waynesburg Milling Company. The earliest known documentation of the mill’s existence is found in a July 27, 1886 article of The Waynesburg Republican titled “A Feather in Greene County’s Cap and a Good Thing for the Farmer”. Known as the “New Process” mill operated by the Waynesburg Roller Mill Company provided a local market for grain farmers. The mill produced flour using 600 bushels of wheat a day.
In December of 1898 the mill was sold to John T. Rees, William A. and T.B. Dinsmore who installed new machinery and increased the capacity to grind 4500 bushels a day.
Beginning a family legacy that lives on to this day, Charles B. Blair purchased the mill in 1928, John L. Blair in 1937 and later in 1950 his four sons, Bryan, Charlie, Scott A. and Lloyd (Mack) Blair. The tradition continued in 1992 when Jeanette Blair Lindsay and her husband Don Lindsay purchased the mill and with the combined effort of Janice Blair-Martin and Mary Jane Blair making this the third generation Blair to own and operate Waynesburg Milling Co.
From 1937 to 1941 the mill produced both flour (sold under the Gold Bond label) and livestock feeds as well. In the early 1940’s, the mill ceased flour production to concentrate on feed exclusively, introducing its own trademark brand WAYCO Feeds. Wayco feed is still in production today but is now manufactured off-site, a change that occurred when tragedy struck in January 2001 and the historic structure that housed Waynesburg Milling Company was lost to fire. It’s because of wonderful customers, family, and friends the tradition of Waynesburg Milling Company lives on with a new 6000 sq. ft. facility on the same location.